What you need to know before deciding on dental implants
- Posted on: Apr 30 2021
It’s simple to take your smile for granted when it is healthy and intact. But once patients experience tooth loss, they may not feel so confident in their smile. At this point, we encourage patients to speak to a dentist in the Ardmore, PA area about their options for tooth replacement. Dr. Lindsey Marshall and her team may suggest dental implants. However, there is a lot to think about when it comes to choosing a tooth replacement option, and she encourages patients to think about the pros and cons of dental implants before moving forward with placement.
What is a dental implant?
The dental implant is a permanent restoration that is used to replace one or more missing teeth. This restoration is a small post that is fabricated from titanium, a metal that is biocompatible with the body and long-lasting. The portion of the post that rests above the gumline is called the abutment and can be restored using many different options. The final result is a natural-looking tooth replacement that will last a lifetime with proper care.
What are some things to consider about dental implants before choosing them?
Dr. Lindsey Marshall and her team encourage patients to think about all their options when looking for a tooth replacement treatment. When deciding on tooth replacement, below are a few things to keep in mind regarding dental implants:
- Removable dentures cannot restore as much chewing ability as dental implants, making it more difficult to enjoy your favorite foods.
- Dentures take time to adjust to, while dental implants function just as natural teeth and do not require an adjustment period.
- Dental implants are standalone restorations that do not require adjacent teeth for support.
- Dental implants are virtually maintenance-free, while partial and full denture require relining and adjustments every few years. They may also need to be replaced entirely several times within one’s lifetime.
- Dental implants are a costly solution, but their longevity makes them a reliable and smart investment in the smile.
Interested in learning more about dental implants?
If you are considering dental implants or any other restoration for missing teeth, we strongly encourage you to speak to a professional first to determine what your options are. Dr. Lindsey Marshall and her team are located in Ardmore, PA at Suburban Square, 32 Parking Plaza, Suite 800 and can be reached by phone to request an appointment at (610) 649-0696.
Posted in: Dental Implants