Here are the five benefits of flossing
- Posted on: Oct 30 2020
Taking care of the smile at home is incredibly important to one’s oral health and wellness. Home healthcare is key to reducing the risk of developing conditions such as periodontal disease and tooth decay. Dr. Lindsey Marshall of Ardmore, PA encourages patients to book an appointment to learn more about how they can care for the teeth and gums between dental visits. This includes regular flossing.
What are the benefits of flossing?
Flossing after every meal is the best way to maintain a healthy smile in conjunction with brushing and routine dental visits. There are several advantages to flossing regularly:
- Regular flossing contributes to a healthier smile by removing food particles between teeth
- Regular flossing reduces the risk of developing cavities or gum infections
- Regular flossing ensures a cleaner smile and can address chronic bad breath
- Regular flossing can reduce a patient’s overall dental expenses over time by protecting the smile from tooth decay and gum disease
- Regular flossing is fast and easy, and our dental team can educate patients on how to properly floss their teeth for the best results.
What types of floss are available?
There are more than just one type of floss available in the local oral care aisle of the drugstore. Floss comes in contains that utilize a type of ribbon or thread to work between the teeth manually. Other flossing products such as flossing picks can make it easier to manage floss if you have trouble working floss around your fingers. Patients with braces will need to ask their dentist about the best method of flossing to get between the teeth and around oral appliances including metal brackets and wires. Some patients may also want to ask about water flossers called waterpiks to determine if that would be beneficial to their oral health.
Discuss the benefits of flossing with your dentist!
Dr. Lindsey Marshall is excited to provide quality dental care for patients in and around the area of Ardmore, PA. If you are looking to educate yourself further on oral health care habits at home, we highly recommend connecting with her practice by calling (610) 649-0696 to request a consultation visit. We are always accepting new patients into the office, especially those who want to educate themselves on preventative care.
Posted in: General Dentistry