Gum Recontouring in Ardmore
Philadelphia, Main Line, and Ardmore, Pennsylvania Cosmetic Dentistry.
Are you embarrassed by your smile for reasons other than tooth problems? Perhaps you have bright teeth that are perfectly straight, but you have a gummy smile. Or perhaps your gums are unevenly covering your teeth. Dr. Lindsey Marshall … Click to go to the page of Dr Lindsey Marshall … provides gum recontouring for her cosmetic dentistry … Click to go to the page of cosmetic services … patients in the Philadelphia area.
The ravages of gum disease can be difficult to repair because once the process starts, it forms a vicious circle. Neglect of dental hygiene allows bacteria to increase in numbers, the increased number of bacteria creates more decay, which creates more space for them to spread, which creates yet more decay … and so on. The process tends to accelerate. Excellent dental hygiene … Click to go to the page of oral hygiene … is the best way to prevent gum disease from the beginning.
Frequently Asked Questions
Your common questions answered by the experts.
- What Is Gum Recontouring? Too much gum tissue covering teeth can get in the way of a dazzling smile. The most attractive smiles have good proportions between light, white teeth and dark in the form of gum tissue. Too much gum tissue in proportion to enamel is referred to as a gummy smile. This and other concerns can be corrected with gum recontouring.
Gum recontouring is a cosmetic technique by which the gums are reshaped to create a more pleasing smile aesthetic. In addition to correcting a gummy smile, gum recontouring can resolve cosmetic concerns including an uneven gum line and disproportionate size between teeth in the smile.
Dr. Marshall is a leading cosmetic dentist in the Main Line area who offers laser gum recontouring to achieve the best aesthetic outcomes.
- What Is the Difference between Laser Gum Recontouring and Traditional Gum Surgery? Traditional gum surgery uses a scalpel to shape tissue around teeth. When a scalpel is used, there is more trauma to the tissues and, subsequently, more bleeding and swelling.
When laser gum contouring is performed:
- No cutting is performed.
- No sutures or stitches are needed.
- Recovery is faster and more comfortable.
- Tissue shaping is more precise, leading to better cosmetic results.
- Candidates for Gum Reshaping
Gum contouring or gum reshaping is an effective treatment for patients whose teeth appear to be short or misshapen due to excess gum tissue, or for those who have an uneven gum line. The line of your smile and the teeth that show when you smile are determined by several factors:
- The size and shape of your teeth.
- The size and shape of your lips.
- Your lip movement when you smile.
- The amount of gum tissue you have.
Dr. Marshall will examine your gums and teeth before creating a treatment plan specific to your needs. An optimal smile line reveals the least possible amount of gum tissue. For this to occur, the gum contours must be in balance with your upper lip. By performing a laser gum treatment, Dr. Marshall is able to redefine your gum line and the line of your smile to enhance the appearance of your whole face.
- Is Gum Recontouring Painful? Gum recontouring is a minimally invasive and painless procedure. Soft tissue lasers do not cut or burn the tissue. Instead, a soft tissue laser will vaporize unwanted gum tissue by breaking down the cellular connections on a microscopic level.
If you are concerned about comfort during any dental procedure, talk to Dr. Marshall about your options during your initial consultation.
- Is Gum Recontouring Safe? Yes, gum recontouring is a safe procedure. Performed by an experienced cosmetic dentist like Dr. Marshall, only unnecessary tissue will be removed. When the tissue is excessive and provides no functional benefit, there will be no harm to your teeth or necessary gum tissue.
- Can Gun Recontouring Be Combined with Other Cosmetic Dental Procedures? In some cases, if you do not have straight and well-aligned teeth, your laser gum treatment may be combined with the placement of porcelain veneers … Click to go to the page of Porcelain Veneers … . Custom-designed veneers allow Dr. Marshall to restore brightness and a pleasing contour to your teeth. The results of these combined procedures show more of your teeth and bring symmetry to your expressions and your overall facial features.
- How Long Do the Results of Gum Contouring Last? It is very rare for gum tissue to grow back after contouring has been performed. Therefore, results are expected to last indefinitely.
- What Is the Gum Reshaping Recovery Process Like? After your surgery, you will want to make sure that you get plenty of rest in order for your gums to heal properly. The healing process can take anywhere from a few days to a number of weeks depending on the extent of the amount of work you had on your gums.
Dr. Marshall will be able to provide you with all of the information you will need about the recovery process and how to properly care for your teeth during the healing process. The information should include specific instructions on how to care for your teeth and gums. Here are a few tips to help you through the recovery process:
- Eat foods that are soft to chew.
- If you’re experiencing a lot of pain, check with Dr. Marshall in order to make sure that over-the-counter drugs such as Advil or Tylenol are safe for you.
- Be sure to follow Dr. Marshall’s instructions on how to properly take care of your teeth.
- Shai H.
Schedule with Us
We are located in The Times Building, the tallest building in the heart Suburban Square.